The information on this page is only applicable for continuing students with a current VET FEE-HELP loan. VET FEE-HELP is not available for new course enrolments in 2017.
VET FEE-HELP* is available to assist eligible students studying diploma-level courses to pay their tuition fees. The VET FEE-HELP loan scheme allows you to study now, pay later.
All courses published on our website are VET FEE-HELP approved.
VET FEE-HELP gives you the option of:
- deferring all of your tuition fees; OR
- paying some of your fees and deferring the balance.
The government applies a loan fee of 20% on fee-for-service VET FEE HELP loans.
You are eligible for VET FEE-HELP if you:
- are an Australian citizen or permanent humanitarian visa holder (resident in Australia for the duration of the unit);
- have not exceeded the FEE-HELP limit, which is $99,389 for the 2016 calendar year;
- meet the tax file number (TFN) requirements; AND
- demonstrate that you have the skills and capability to succeed in the course at least to the level of Year 12 by providing a copy of your Australian year 12 certificate or completing the Diploma Entry Test; AND
- apply at least 2 days prior to the census date.
Certain New Zealand Special Category Visa (NZ SCV) holders now have access to HELP loans
To be eligible, NZ SCV holders are required to meet a range of long term residency requirements. These requirements are:
- that the student arrived in Australia at least 10 years ago as a dependent child (i.e. aged under 18 years of age and did not have a spouse or de-facto partner); AND
- the student has been ordinarily resident in Australia for the previous 10 years (that is, they have been here for the last 10 years – including resident for eight of the last 10 years, and 18 months of the last two years), AND;
- the student is otherwise eligible for HELP.
The Study Assist NZ FAQ page has been updated to reflect this information, and is available at: FAQs New Zealand
A separate Commonwealth Assistance form is to be used by eligible candidates.
A VET FEE-HELP loan allows you to start studying and get qualified without any upfront fees. Here’s how it works:
- Choose your course: choose the course that best matches your career goals.
- Enrol in your course: enrol in your course anytime, select VET FEE-HELP as your desired payment method.
- Meet entry requirements: demonstrate that you have the skills and capability to succeed in the course at least to the level of Year 12 by providing a copy of your Australian year 12 certificate or completing the Diploma Entry Test.
- Complete your VET FEE-HELP application: an email advising how to complete your VET FEE-HELP application will be sent to you once you’ve submitted the enrolment form. Simply complete all the details, add in your Tax File Number, electronically sign the email and submit.
- Start studying: there are no semesters or enrolment dates, so once you’ve enrolled in your course you can start studying immediately.
- Reach your census date: if you withdraw from your course before the census date, your VET FEE-HELP loan application will be cancelled at no cost. Once the census date passes, you are liable for any tuition fees associated with your course.
Once you have a job and your income reaches $54,869 (for the 2016/17 financial year) your VET FEE-HELP loan will begin to be repaid through the tax system.
The first Census Date is the date by which you will need to submit your application for a VET FEE-HELP. This is the date by which you can also withdraw from a Unit of Study without penalty or incurring any fees or a VET FEE-HELP debt. All courses offered by Ivy have 3 study periods and census dates.
Students are able to complete a course and gain nationally recognised qualifications without making any repayments before earning a specified income threshold – we call it Study Now, Pay Later.
New students are able to withdraw from the course if they choose without incurring any fees before the census date. Students are notified of their census date when they begin.
Once you start earning over $54,869 your VET FEE-HELP loan obligations start. Repayments are made through the tax system. For further information see Study Assist.
Prior to applying for a VET FEE-HELP loan students MUST READ the current version of the VET FEE-HELP Information Booklet and FAQ’s.
Although the loan is provided by the Australian Government, failure to make repayments when due may affect your credit rating.
The government applies a loan fee of 20% on all VET FEE-HELP loans, which is not included in the course fees or the FEE-HELP loan limit.
For more information, read the VET FEE-HELP Information Booklet (2016), FAQs or fact sheets: Choosing the right qualification for you, Why is your census date so important, Protect your Tax File Number and Need more assistance.
Students may not receive the Request for Commonwealth Assistance Form until at least 2 business days from enrolment have elapsed.
If a Request for Commonwealth Assistance Form is submitted less than 2 business days before the census date for the unit of study, the student will not be able to receive VET FEE-HELP assistance for the unit.
Please see our How to Enrol for further information regarding the course enrolment process and submitting your Request for Commonwealth Assistance Form.